Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] What's your favourite MTA

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] What's your favourite MTA
From: "Matt Pankratz" <mattp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 21:10:17 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings,

The recent discussion of MTAs/MUAs has caused me to ponder some aspects of my
current MTA
setup.

I'd like to discard the MUA side of things for the time being and focus on MTAs.

I currently use SENDMAIL for an MTA for the following reasons:

I actually figured out how to get it to work
I'm comfortable with the basic setup and configuration
I like it's history and viability in the open source community
It does what I need it to do

I know others (Jon Hall - "Champion of Postfix" comes to mind) have preferences
for other
MTAs. :)

What I'd like to know is the specifics of MTA preference amongst the group
members.  Do
you have particular likes and dislikes regarding MTAs?  Have you run into
instances where
a specific MTA didn't (or couldn't) provide necessary functionality?  Have you
switched
MTAs for business or personal reasons (and why)?

I think I've mentioned it before, but I'd like to find a combination of MTA,
Content
Filtering (SMTP), and Virus Scanning that meets the following conditions:

Entirely open source
Documented, supported, and developed as a viable and stable solution
Non-hardware specific
Scalable

I look forward to the responses.

Matt Pankratz