Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: COX Cable change in email address.. when?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: COX Cable change in email address.. when?
From: Glenn Wiens <gwiens@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:13:56 -0500

Michael Moore wrote:

> The last message I got said the change is supposed to happen between
> April 22 and Mid May.  We are supposed to be given some time in order to
> inform everyone of our new email address.
>
> Since, today is April 22, I would hope Cox Communications will let us
> know something in the next day or two.

While I'm not in love with SWBell, I can't complain about their broadband
service. And I dislike Cox more than I dislike the phone people. Once I got
past helping the installer from SBC install the client on my Win machine
(really! is there any other type?), I moved the client connection to my
Linux machine, setting up a firewall and authentication agent and
masquerading and voila! in like flint. (Oops -- that should date me, eh?)
All the Win and Linux machines on my home network could use the Internet
independently.

However, it was only in the last month that I was able to get it to
masquerade IPSEC protocol. (This required recompiling my Kernel, and having
never done that before, it was daunting, but thanks to "james l"
<james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, I was able to slog through it.) Now that I've
got that working, I feel invincible. Of course, that's what Boris said in
"Golden Eye" just before all hell came crashing down on him. flinch, flinch.
I suspect it's only a matter of time before the same comes crashing down on
me. Still, a whole year of using state-of-the-art technology -- that's long
term stuff, isn't it?

At any rate, the only inconvenience (other than raising my monthly fee for
ADSL) I have noted is three interruptions in service since I started a
little over a year ago and those were for relatively brief times (less than
an hour).

-- Glenn Wiens