Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] [Fwd: Request from academic researcher]

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] [Fwd: Request from academic researcher]
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Mar 2002 09:13:57 -0600

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Paul Dholakia <dholakia@xxxxxxxx>
To: cabrubak@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Request from academic researcher
Date: 27 Mar 2002 19:13:28 -0600

=20
Dear Linux User Group Moderator:
I am a faculty member in the Jones school of management at Rice
University in Houston, Texas. We are conducting an academic research
project, studying social interactions online, and how communities
organized around products or brands are formed, from a sociological
perspective...=20
In this regard, the entire open-source movement, and particularly LINUX
user groups and online bulletin boards provide a wonderful context to
study these sociological issues.
=20
We are conducting a survey of members of LINUX user groups/ online
bulleting boards seeking information on different elements of their
thoughts, feelings, and motivations of participating in such groups, and
the value of the group to them... The survey can be completed via email
or mail, as the participant prefers...=20
=20
Of course, this research is strictly academic, and has no commercial
links or interests. We hope to publish this research in a sociology
journal, and will make it available to all interested individuals in
approximately two months=85.
=20
Also, as a small token of our appreciation for participants' time, and
in the spirit of the philosophy underlying the open-source movement, we
will donate $500 total to the five favorite organizations/ groups of our
participants' choice (we ask the participant=92s to nominate their
favorite groups in the survey).
=20
I am writing to seek your help in conducting this research, first
through participating, and second, through encouraging your user group
members to participate in the research.. This will not take more than
ten minutes of your (and their time).=20
=20
We welcome all help, and look forward to hearing from you.=20
=20
Best wishes,
Paul Dholakia
=20