Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:16:56 -0600

* Chris Brown <chrisb@xxxxxxxx> [2002 Mar 06 21:51 -0600]:

> Okay, this is why I think we need a presentation on kernel compilation: I
> think I see you referring to having multiple kernels on the system, lilo
> you recompile the kernal, you MUST replace the one you are using. This is a
> bit of information that is EXACTLY why I subscribe to this list and plan on
> becoming active in the linux community.

One thing about Linux is that with symbolic links, you can have any
number of real files and point a symlink with the generic name to the
specific file.  For example, as I build new kernels, I've adopted a
naming system like:

/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-1

which is my first build.  On subsequent builds I change the last digit.

In / is a symlink vmlinuz that links to the build I want to load by
default.  I do the same thing for the System.map files in /boot.
/vmlinuz.old points to an old build known to be working.

On a related note, last week I first used grub, the Grand Unified
Bootloader.  The reason I did so was that after transfering my working
system over to the larger hard drive for the new machine, I could not
make LILO work at all running it from hdb.  Even a LILO boot floppy
failed.  I kept getting LI and then a halt which indicated a drive
geometry mismatch.  Changing the BIOS parms had no effect.  Finally, I
tried grub on a floppy per the May 2001 issue of Linux Journal (the
article's online) and was able to successfully boot onto my new hard
drive.  I then was able to run LILO and it was able to boot the system
from that point on.

A good presentation might center around GRUB.  I've found it to be much
easier to implement than LILO, has an easy to configure menu with
password protection and a host of other neat features like being able to
boot any kernel image you provide on any partition at boot time.

Unfortunately, I live too far away to offer a presentation, but some one
else might be interested in taking up the subject.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and