Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Syncing with a USB visor and evolution -- A crappy HOWTO

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Syncing with a USB visor and evolution -- A crappy HOWTO
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Jan 2002 10:11:35 -0600

I mentioned trying to do this at the last meeting, and I got it to work
with little effort and here's what I did YMMV.

First this is a RedHat 7.2 with the newest Ximian Gnome installed and
evolution 1.0.1
.

The first step was to insert the visor usb serial module (which was
already compiled, if its not for you'll have to compile you kernel):
modprobe visor

the usb module was already loaded for me so I didn't have to insert
that.

Next I gave permission to the usb serial devices and made symlinks  (as
root of course):
chmod 666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB*
ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 pilot
ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 visor
ln -s /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 handspring
(those kernels with out the dev file system would use
 /dev/ttyUSB instead)

Then in evolution I selected Tools->Pilot Settings...
which brings up the gpilot set up, I set up with the port as /dev/pilot
the speed as 57600 and the type as handspring USB. The after I few false
starts  I  followed the instuctions got it to read the name from my hand
held . Then I selected the Pilot Conduits and set EAddress, ECalendar,
and EToDo to Synchronize (which tells it to not erase any except ones
that were on the other and have been deleted, and merges both lists on
both the visor and in evolution)

You can also set it to backup and transfer files and syncronize with
GnomeCal and GnomeCard

once I set this I hit ok then I hit the synchronze button on my handheld
and after a while (I was transfering several megs at the speed of a 56k
modem, but it only takes this long the first time) my Calendar,
Addresses, and ToDo where synchronized.

I don't see an email coduit, and haven't had a chance to look for one.

Feel free to correct this or ask questions, I can  try to answer.

Clint Brubakken

I also created

Then I selected in evolution Tools->Pilot Settings, which brings up the