Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Lies, twisted words, and big balls

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Lies, twisted words, and big balls
From: Lars von dem Ast <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:42:11 -0600

On Friday 09 November 2001 03:54 pm, you wrote:
> The scientific community has been essentially open source for decades, if
> not centuries.  I haven't heard anyone complaining that there are no
> scientific jobs available.
>
> As for his taking credit for providing a platform for open source, if
> memory serves it was IBM which produced the "millions and millions of
> machines" and they essentially "open sourced" the specs to boot!

Microsoft built its large developer base by making the price of developer
admission very cheap. They had nothing to do with the hardware. They had/have
the same problems as anyone with i386-ish machines: millions of little gotcha
with all the mix-and-match parts.

However, ca. 1990, a cheap box, a copy of Petzhold's (sp?) Windows
programming book, and a stolen copy of Borland would get you in the game,
while Novell training cost many thousands, and Unix was just for the elite.

While in Seattle, I interviewed for a job at MS, and part of the interview
was on a section of Petzhold I hadn't studied all that well. (Destiny, fate,
where taketh me? To Kansas?! Aaaghh!!)

I'm saying MS (and Borland) did give programming to the masses, and for that
I thank them. It just took Linux/GNU/Open Source to truly deliver on the
promise of universal admission.

--
Lb:Lars von dem Ast
"Soma addicts should not handle flags."