Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: XP vs linux

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: XP vs linux
From: Ironrose <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:24:42 -0500

As it was explained to me is that it is hard to be competitive in the computer
hardware business.  The
store doesn't buy in bulk enough to get the really good discounts.  By the time
you buy the product
from your vender and it get shipped to you, the price has already dropped ~10%
and you have lost some
of your profit.  A small portion of the profits comes from selling software and
every little bit
helps.  The only software that we get a good deal on is the M$, but we have to
abide by M$ strict
guidelines so that we can continue to be a M$ reseller.  To promote another OS
makes too many waves to
M$.  We have had to dramatically change our computer upgrade specials because
of the new M$ licensing
--  4 or more upgrades or changes in the box requires the customer to purchase
another OS.  Because of
this we suggest that customer buy a new pc rather than upgrade the old one.  We
also don't support any
other OS, Apple-Mac or Linux.  The managers don't want us to encourage any
users to try an OS that we
aren't able to help them with.  We need to sell our services, as well as
hardware and software.

Some of the customers have tried to install linux and had either difficulties
or didn't like it,
usually because that didn't know how to configure PPP or how to install
software.  I was helping
customers on the front counter, but I am restricted to 10minutes or less to
solve the problem.  I
don't have enought time after work to help everyone that wants it.  It was
frustrating to the
customers as well as myself.  I am trying to learn more about Linux myself and
some day I would like
to work in a linux -- instead of M$ environment.  ~Ironrose