Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: KDE's latest version shows promise

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: KDE's latest version shows promise
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:41:54 -0500

I'd definitely agree!  I'm currently running MDK8.1beta3 (rc1's out
now!) and thoroughly enjoy working in KDE...  It really seems like I'm
working in a completely different OS...  Feels like a mix b/n BeOS,
MacOS and a little bit of Windows...  I'm anxious to see how well
Konqueror is able to do plugins and if it will ever get to the point
that I can view pages w/ all my favorite plugins!

I'm currently using 2.2, but 2.2.1 just very recently came out and is
supposed to have a lot of improvements...  It's really neat to see some
of they eye-candy things they are doing...  fading menus, tooltips,
etc...  fade-out fx on the taskbar (instead of the '...' cutting off the
application name), taskbar grouping (ala BeOS), translucent menus, and
of course AA fonts!!!  Unfortunately, to get any reasonable performance
out of it, I have to turn almost all of that off (except AA fonts, of
course!) because my old P200/64MB RAM/2MB vid card just can't handle
it...

One of my other fav things about KDE2 is the tight integration b/n apps
w/o doing stupid things like making it so that if Konq crashes, so does
the kernel (can u say IE?)...  very impressive stuff!!!

gLaNDix