Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] FW: NEW VIRUS - Read this!(No the virus isn't included!) - Cus

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] FW: NEW VIRUS - Read this!(No the virus isn't included!) - CustomLog problem solved!
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:12:10 -0500

Here's another take on a "solution"...
>   SetEnvIf Request_URI \.exe$ ms_bs
>   SetEnvIf Request_URI \.dll$ ms_bs
>   SetEnvIf Request_URI \share$ ms_bs
>
>   CustomLog /var/log/httpsd/access_log common env=!ms_bs
>   CustomLog /var/log/httpsd/ms-bs_log common env=ms_bs

And here's some more ideas:
> damn, I am sorry, when I copied it over it seems like I DID forget the
'common' keyword. What this does: Everytime a request for one of those
MS things comes in, apache sets up a variable "other" and names it
"ms-bs". Next I am defining a custom log, and by putting "env=!ms-bs", I
am telling apache to NOT log the request if the "other" enviroment
variable has been set to "ms-bs". It is not necessary to additionally
set up another log that WILL log the ms-bs stuff. This can just be left
off, and simply nothing will be logged when the ms-bs variable is set.

> It will still show up in the error_log though. If you want to take
this a step further, you might try to puzzle something together with an
alias match to point it to a dummy-page, e.g. AliasMatch /scripts/.*
"/path/to/htdocs/dummypage.html"

> You just have to be sure that there is nothing on your webserver that
actually uses a directory called "scripts". However, I did this for my
server, and it works fine, both my error_log and access_log are almost
clean of MS-BS now. There are still requests for other locations like
"/c/winnt/system....", "/d/winnt/..." and some "_mem_bin" etc., so you
might want to filter that out too.

gLaNDix