Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: All the 'justification' ever needed for suppressing free s

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: All the 'justification' ever needed for suppressing free speach, religion, etc.
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 07:13:00 -0500

Root/Great Overall Dictator replies:
> I hope not, but I fear that is what the action will acomplish. Carnivore, and
> similar programs will have a LOT of public support. I hope that it doesn't
> happen but I fear it will.

Speaking of Propheys, see the above.
http://slashdot.org/yro/01/09/14/211241.shtml
Congess proposing a place for the FBI to call and say I have probable cause,
and they just get a search warrant. Also, up to 24 hours of survelence via
carnivore etc without a warrant at all.

Congress proposing to require a backdoor into any encryption system.

Congress allowing Racial Profiling to be reinstated.

Defend freedom? No.
Let terrorists win? Yes

The fact is that we will lose freedoms, but not for security, but for the
perception of security
-unremembered slashdot poster

James l

> James L.
>
> A lot of people are also calling on nuking whoever did this, and I hope that
> doesn't happen either.
Still my hope.