Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Denied connections

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Denied connections
From: Ironrose <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:39:03 -0500

We talked about having a discussion on Personal Encryption, but I don't
remember it ever being done.

As far as the people at work, I am the only female in my area, and some
of the guys think that because I am a female that I couldn't possibly
understand what is going on with computers in the first place.  They
seem to be surprized that I even spend a lot of my personal time reading
and talking with others about the topic of OS, networking, and servers.
They are shocked to find out that I have 4 Linux computers running 24/7
in my house.  Right now 3 of the 4 are running multiple sessions of
Seti.  My Seti co-workers realize now that my Linux computers are
creating the sessions faster than what their Microsoft computers are.
(I remind them every chance that I can that Linux is VERY efficent.)
Some of them have tried to install Linux and haven't succeeded for one
reason or another and gave up.  I have informed them of the Install
sessions that you do and we have done some Linux installs with my
software at work...until the manager found out and suggested that we do
this on our own time instead of company time.

My co-workers have big enough egos to where nothing I say will change
their minds about networking and security.  I have talked to them about
writing programs and shell scripts, but they continue to think that I
couldn't possibly understand as much as what they know about network
security (M$'s version).  Some day their opinions may change, but not in
the near future.  In the mean time I will continue to read all that I
can and learn from others in the ACLUG group.  ~Ironrose