Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: CD rom drive fail?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CD rom drive fail?
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Aug 2001 14:19:33 -0500

sometimes certain cd's can't be read by certain drives older drives, if
this is a cdr copy of debian, that might be the case, and the cleaning
cd might be special type. Did you test any other cd on that machine
other than the debian and the cd cleaner? Try another data cd, like a
game or program cd, or if all else fails maybe an aol cd, and see if it
can be read

On 10 Aug 2001 12:03:47 -0700, Maverick wrote:

> Hi,
>    I tried to install Debian on a old P200 machine,
> putting, the cdrom is Toshiba XM-57202B ATAPI
> interface, it shows that when the machine bootup on
> linux,
> hdc: Toshiba XM-57202B ATAPI 12X cdrom
>

> but when I put a CD disc and try to do a mount:
> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> or
> mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
> it shows a normal mount message along with an "No
> Media Found":
> mount: /dev/hdc mounted blocked write protected  read
> only
> No Media Found
>
> I use the CD-Rom cleaner also.
> the link /dev/cdrom is link to /dev/hdc.
>
> it appear to all cd disc on that CD rom drive, if I
> take the cd disc and test another machine, it read ok.
>
> I replace another CD ROM drive on that machine, it
> works ok.
>
> So, should I trash the Toshiba CD-Rom drive? or do I
> need special driver or module compile to make it
> works.
>
> Thank all.
>
> Regards,
> Mav

Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Programmer Analyst
Inetic Web Development
---
Black holes are where God divided by zero.