Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2001:
[aclug-L] CD rom drive fail?

To: ACLUG_DISCUSSION <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] CD rom drive fail?
From: Maverick <mluvw47@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:03:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
   I tried to install Debian on a old P200 machine,
putting, the cdrom is Toshiba XM-57202B ATAPI
interface, it shows that when the machine bootup on
linux,
hdc: Toshiba XM-57202B ATAPI 12X cdrom

but when I put a CD disc and try to do a mount:
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
or
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
it shows a normal mount message along with an "No
Media Found":
mount: /dev/hdc mounted blocked write protected  read
only
No Media Found

I use the CD-Rom cleaner also.
the link /dev/cdrom is link to /dev/hdc.

it appear to all cd disc on that CD rom drive, if I
take the cd disc and test another machine, it read ok.

I replace another CD ROM drive on that machine, it
works ok.

So, should I trash the Toshiba CD-Rom drive? or do I
need special driver or module compile to make it
works.

Thank all.

Regards,
Mav