Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: RoadRunner Mail question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: RoadRunner Mail question
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:24:11 -0500

The outbound mail (SMTP) server needs to be the one used by kscable (or
the DSL provider) since they normally allow mail to be sent only from
within their ip address space.

It does not care what is used as the return(from) or reply-to addresses.
Often though, the mail client being used to send mail needs the 'from'
user name to be set to the name of the account on the server used to
send mail.  The from and reply-to addresses may be different.

Nor does it care what server you are reading mail from.

I have done this with SWBell DSL and with kscable.

        Here in TX I am using Charter cable internet, and I have fetchmail
running on one of my boxes to collect mail from 3 different accounts and
put it on the local host so I can then have netscape read the mail from
a single local host.  Works like a champ. It keeps my mailboxes on the
remote sites empty and makes reading my mail almost instantaneous. No
wait to download it.
        Before I set up fetchmail I had to keep changing the config in mozilla
to read mail since most of the sites are using POP3 and not IMAP.
Mozilla will not handle multiple POP3 accounts but will allow that with
imap.

This config requires sendmail to be running on the host that is running
fetchmail, so I do NOT have these set up on my Linux firewall.  I do not
want to let anyone use my server to bounce spam and I have been too busy
to take the time and set up sendmail to prevent bouncing.