Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: FW: Linux-Mandrake community newsletter - Issue #5

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FW: Linux-Mandrake community newsletter - Issue #5
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:45:52 -0500

>    AOL Mandrake?
>    osOpinion.com has an interesting, though possibly "tongue-in-cheek",
article
>    about what it might be like if MandrakeSoft and America Online combined
>    efforts to create a Linux distribution:
>    "AOL, working in partnership with Linux-Mandrake, could produce a
>    scaled-down
>    version of the OS branded specifically for AOL, but with an interface
>    redesigned to be similar to AOL 6. With so many excellent open-source
>    applications available and pre-installed on Mandrake, AOLinux would
have a
>    range of functionally that people come to expect on a Windows machine."
>    http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/11362.html

While the above was written as a joke.. what 'IF' AOL-Time/Warner really did
put their marketing power behind a Linux release?
'IF' they released a 'WinLinux' style release and 'slowly' took over the
desk top of the Windows system.
Many of you might not remember that it was with the former GEOS operating
system that AOL first was released and users had to boot to DOS to connect
to their service and it was only after Microsoft offered to write a Windows
version of the interface that there was a Windows version.

And from what I have seen on 'TechTV' there is already a version of the AOL
interface that runs on a Linux based 'tablet' computer.

(By the way, if you did not know it you can watch 'TechTV' in the Wichita
area most of the time on LP-UHF channel 53).

--David