Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Software?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Software?
From: "Benjamin F. Bunck" <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:16:04 -0500

If you know what your looking for,

www.sourceforge.net
www.rpmfind.net
( especially http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/ )

are great places to look for the newest releases of a variety of Linux
software.

Also, most linux distrobutions have mirror sites for the official
releases...so you can download individual packages that may not be on your
install cd's.

A good mirror site for several major distrobutions is:

ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/linux/

If you use redhat, go to www.redhat.com/download/.  Click on the "advanced
search" option, and then make sure "file names" is selected.  This will allow
you to look for rpm's that contain a given file.  This is particularly useful
for when you try to install an rpm, and you get a message like "<package>
needs libstd******" .  You simply put the missing file into the search, and
the search result includes a link to download the required package.  Very
handy.

Hope this helps some

Ben