Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: June 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: ssh help

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ssh help
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:20:03 -0500

I like WinSCP as a gui client. When using windows, drag and drop is so much
easier than finding things from the command line.   http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/

Here's the description from thier web page:
****
WinSCP is freeware SCP (Secure CoPy) client for Windows 95/98/2000/NT using SSH
(Secure SHell). Its main purpose is safe copying files between local and remote
computer. Beyond this basic function, WinSCP manages some other actions with
files.

WinSCP interface is based on Norton Commander. A local folder is displayed in
the left panel and a remote folder in the right panel. Appearance of the file
list is the same as it is in Windows Explorer using detailed view.

What can WinSCP do?

WinSCP can do all basic operations with files, such as copying and moving (to
and from a remote computer). It also allows you to rename files and folders (on
both remote and local computer), create new folders (on both remote and local
computer), change access rights (only on remote computer) and change groups
(only on remote computer).

You can do these actions in the same way like in Norton Commander (or similar
file managers). Actions are done always in active panel. (active panel is switch
by a Tab key), optionally from active panel to the opposite panel (copying and
moving). Copying is done using F5 key, moving F6 key, deleting F8 key, etc...
Other WinSCP functions have their own keyboard shortcut as well, so it's not
necessary (though it's possible) to use mouse.

Most operations can be done recursively for files in folders. In some cases
optionally (changing of user rights, changing of group), in all other cases it's
compulsory (copying, moving, deleting).

WinSCP displays files on remote computer the way that is as much similar to
displaying local files in Windows Explorer as possible. Depending on the type of
file, WinSCP associates the file with its appropriate icon. Hidden files and
folders (i.e. those starting with dot) display in gray color. WinSCP adds arrow
to the icon at the symbolic links the same way as it is added for windows
shortcuts. Local (left) panel allows you to use Windows context menu.
****

I really works slick.

--dwh

---