Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: a dumb question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: a dumb question
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:34:13 -0500

Maverick wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am thinking to auto testing something on linux
> machine from a PC machine, is that anyway to launch
> some command from a PC to linux machine after telnet
> automatically? like ssh or rsh?

You can use ssh or rsh, provided:

 1) You have client programs on the PC. They are not
    standard issue, so you'll have to track them down,
    install and configure them. I think they can be
    found somewhere, but don't know where offhand.
 2) You have daemon programs configured, running and
    accessible on the Linux machine. rshd, in particular,
    has a checkered past security-wise, so most Linux
    systems render it useless by default. sshd is also
    useless until you have it properly configured.

You can use something like expect (based on tcl) to
script interactive programs like ftp and telnet.

Anything beyond that involves a lot of programming
(e.g., rpc).

My guess is that ssh is probably the tool of choice.
I've never set it up, so cannot advise; if you do get
it to work, you might let us know.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/