Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: a dumb question

To: Maverick <mluvw47@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ACLUG_DISCUSSION <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: a dumb question
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:09:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Maverick wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am thinking to auto testing something on linux
> machine from a PC machine, is that anyway to launch
> some command from a PC to linux machine after telnet
> automatically? like ssh or rsh?
>
> Is that a way to put something on a file call
> "runtest_linux" in PC.
>
> C:\>type runtest_linux
> //test from a pc to linux machine
> telnet somelinuxhost
> mylogin_name
> mypassword
> ls -la
> cd public_html
> ls -la

        Actually, this probably isn't that easy.  It depends a lot on the
terminal emulator you are using, if it allows any scripting or not.  You
might check to see if Expect is available for Windows.  Expect can be used
under LINUX to automate interactive tasks, like telnets, FTPs, etc.  If it
is available for Windows, that might be a good bet.  I used to do
something like this with Clarkson University TCP/IP for DOS (before the
days of Windows). It was possible to create an FTP batch script that would
do certain GETs, log in via FTP to some remote host, and so on.   If you
are concerned with the output of the commands, maybe to parse them or
something like that, you might want to use Perl for Windows too.  I have
heard it is available.

                                Hope this helps,

                                Tom W.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx