Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Avantgo Linux Page

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Avantgo Linux Page
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:40:27 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Dale W Hodge wrote:

> For those of you wondering what Advantgo is, it's a web clipping service for
> handheld computers: Palm OS, WinCE, and Windows Palm. You specify which
> sites you want clipped and the software downloads it to your handheld.
> Pretty cool way to keep up with all the news.

I'm finding SiteScooper + iSilo to work better for me than AvantGo.  (And
I don't even sync on the machine that produces the pdb... so it's not as
convenient as it would be for most.)  iSilo is *much* smaller than
AvantGo, treats your web pages as individual documents instead of
"channels", it's also a Doc reader, so you can view web pages and doc
files in the same interface, it's actually *readable* on a non-color
screen (which AvantGo often isn't) and you don't have to give anybody your
passwords or rely on a service that may go out of business.

iSilo's only drawback for me is a propriatary file format.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
It's only a hobby ... only a hobby ... only a