Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: 3 questions

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: 3 questions
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:25:54 -0600

#1  The fs for the floppy is whatever image type you put on it.  If you have
an image of a dos/windows floppy and you copy that image to the floppy using
dd then it will mount as an msdos file system. Similarly if you have put an
EXT2 file system format on it.

On the other hand, if you use dd and copy a file to the floppy as a raw
image and not as a floppy image then you cannot mount it.  It stores it on
the floppy as a raw image and not formatted as a file system.

You can mount a dos formatted floppy as an msdos file system and then use
the normal commands such as cp to put files on it that will be accessible as
regular files on a mounted fs.  Remember to unmount the floppy before you
remove it.