Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Debian use on a old machine

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Debian use on a old machine
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:20:54 -0600

I've had Debian 2.2 running on a 486DX33 with 16M of ram.  It ran okay, but
dselect was very slow to load.  X-Windows will run, but it loading apps is very
slow. Graphical browsers are out of the question. It depends on what you are
going to use the machine for.  I had a 386DX40 with 8M of ram running Debian 2.0
as a file and print server and as an internet gateway. It worked fine for the
intended duty.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx