Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Debian use on a old machine

To: George Sawi <guysw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Debian use on a old machine
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:37:53 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, George Sawi wrote:

> Hi group,
>    I have an old 486DX 16M-ram
>    5x CDrom
>    540M HD
>    Does anyone have any using install Debian on this machine?
>    Thanks,

        I had Debian 2.1 running on a 486/33.  I don't remember
how much memory.  A very tiny Debian 2.2 install should work,
but dselect and the installer will run very slowly.

                                Hope this helps,

                                T W

P.S. As much as I like Debian, Slackware might be just as good
for this.  These are the two that I can think about that you
can cut down to size easily.

> Regards,
> George

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx