Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux on Compaq Presario

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux on Compaq Presario
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:23:02 -0600

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> My comment would be... DON'T EVER BUY A COMPAQ PRESARIO FOR ANY OPERATING
> SYSTEM EVER.
>
> Presarios are just about the worst model of computer on the market today, in
> my opinion.  Better perhaps only than an eMachine.
>
> In my experience as a technical support rep for Internet service, I've
> experienced many, many, many problems with Compaq Presarios.  (Packard Bells
> were worse, but they've gone out of business now, so don't count any more).
>
> Some of the higher-end Compaqs machines aren't so bad (Deskpros, for
> instance), but still, I would avoid Compaq even then.

Being the most vocal other-platform user, I would agree, high end compaq's
are the best in the world-Alphas.

Anyway, According to some emails I have seen even the compaq guys think they
are not good at all (making the words more polite).

> If you must buy a name-brand system, get a Dell or Gateway.  If you can
> afford it, build your own computer, or have someone build one for you.
> Business Computer Center Advantage Computer, Prologic, or myself (or
> probably many others in the Linux group) are good places I could recommend.
> You'll pay more, but you'll get a much better computer.  It's definately
> worth the extra money if you can afford it.
>

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 08:06:53PM -0800, Maverick wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all
> >
> >    Does anyone have any comment install any
> > linux(Debian, redhat, or Mandrake) on Compaq Presario?
> >
> >    I am thinking to get a Compaq Presario 7000US
> > model, which AMD K-7 1.2G, 128M, 80G HD, CDRW, and
> > DVD, Ethernet card, and modem.
> >
> >    I would like to know anyone out there using linux
> > on Compaq Presario encourt any problem? Install
> > expereince? Any suggestion or comments are welcome.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Maverick
> >
> > =====

If you get multiple copies, delete them, or go fix kmail on alphas ;)