Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux on Compaq Presario

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux on Compaq Presario
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:17:08 -0600

My comment would be... DON'T EVER BUY A COMPAQ PRESARIO FOR ANY OPERATING
SYSTEM EVER.

Presarios are just about the worst model of computer on the market today, in
my opinion.  Better perhaps only than an eMachine.

In my experience as a technical support rep for Internet service, I've
experienced many, many, many problems with Compaq Presarios.  (Packard Bells
were worse, but they've gone out of business now, so don't count any more).

Some of the higher-end Compaqs machines aren't so bad (Deskpros, for
instance), but still, I would avoid Compaq even then.

If you must buy a name-brand system, get a Dell or Gateway.  If you can
afford it, build your own computer, or have someone build one for you.
Business Computer Center Advantage Computer, Prologic, or myself (or
probably many others in the Linux group) are good places I could recommend.
You'll pay more, but you'll get a much better computer.  It's definately
worth the extra money if you can afford it.