Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2001:
[aclug-L] david korn interview

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] david korn interview
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:47:44 -0600

Anyone interested in shell programming should take a look at
Slashdot's interview with David Korn:

In particular, Korn provides a list of features added to ksh93
over ksh88:

>  1. Associative arrays - ksh88 already supports indexed arrays.
>  2. Floating point arithmetic + math library functions.
>  3. Arithmetic for command similar to C and awk.
>  4. Complete ANSI C printf formatting with extensions.
>  5. Run time linking of libraries and builtins.
>  6. A number of additional substring operations such as offset
>     length.
>  7. Full extended regular expression matching capabilities
>  8. Compound variables which can be used to represent data
>     aggregates.
>  9. Name references for passing aggregate variables by name.
> 10. Active variables. Users can trap variable assignment
>     and references by associating intercept functions of
>     the form name.get and name.set.
> 11. Ability to make socket connections to servers by name.
> 12. read with timeouts.
> 13. Conformance to POSIX 1003.2.
> 14. Command completion and variable completion, ksh93 only had
>     file name completion.
> 15. A key binding mechanism that allows users to bind
>     keys to new editing functions.

ksh93 source code and binary packages can be found at:

  http://www.research.att.com/sw/download/

I did manage to install the Linux binaries for ast-open. It
includes many programs you already have (e.g., chown, grep,
head, mkdir), so the binary install has to go into its own
directory world. To use this, you have to set a bunch of
environment variables (bin/package/environment use DIR).
There are man pages on some things, not others. Doesn't
look ready for prime time, but not without interest.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/