Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DSL vs Cable

To: "'discussion@xxxxxxxxx'" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DSL vs Cable
From: "Violette, James" <JViolette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:26:33 -0600

Both DSL and Cable have modems that sit between the outside world and your
computer.  Your computer talks with these modems through and Ethernet
connection.  As long as your computer has an Ethernet card, you can choose
either connection.

Whether DSL is availble depends on the distance from your computer to the
nearest DSL substation.  Typically, this distance is somewhere between 2 and
5 miles.  I know of people who are within this distance, but still the
signal was not strong enough.

Cable modems are available wherever cable TV hookups are available.  That is
what I have.  I pay $30 per month for the connection.  I purchased my cable
modem for $225, so that no longer appears on my bill.  You have the option
to rent the cable modem for an additional $15 per month instead of
purchasing the cable modem. Cable service has been reliable.

A DSL hookup seems to allow you more freedom to setup hosting services.  For
example, you may publish a web site across a DSL line.  Rumor has it that
you may not publish a web site across a cable modem line. I have not tried
to do this yet, and so I do not know for sure.