Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: sed or awk??? or better way to do.

To: ACLUG_DISCUSSION <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: sed or awk??? or better way to do.
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:41:54 -0600 (CST)

I've never used sed, but it might be the sort of thing to use for that.
Someone more knowledgable in sed should speak up on that.

Personally, the first thing I thought of was a Perl hash, which stores
pairs of values. All you'd need to do is store the file of matched pairs,
read it into a hash, and then read through an input file, replacing every
occurance of "bad" with "good". If you set up your regular expression
correctly to identify blank space, it won't replace "badly", etc...

It should make a pretty short Perl program, actually.

John