Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: c primer

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: c primer
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 08:09:28 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Tom Hull wrote:

> My main point is that: if you want to learn to write non-trivial programs in
> C, the most critical thing that you have to master is the type system, and
> this is also the most difficult thing that you have to master.

I think types are trivial... but maybe that's because I learned to
program in heavily-typed languages before learing C, instead of learning
a very loosely-typed langauge like Perl.

To me, far and away, a person must understand pointers and memory
management, and considering that there are entire books devoted to this
subject alone, I think I'm justified in saying that this is the most
difficult part of C to deal with.  Understanding the concept isn't hard,
but learning to decipher indirections and the like without having to think
about it too hard takes time.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
My reality check just bounced.