Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DOS

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DOS
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:26:49 -0500

The Kurgan wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> JS> I could be -- have a DOS boot disk and a *cough* few spare
> JS> computers :) I don't have high-tech monitors or pts-dos or
> JS> Arachne, though.
>
> I now am of the opinion that pts-dos really sucks. I mainly tried it
> because I couldn't get the damn ms version to install. Just sits there
> and locks up. I think my video card is doing it. Had to reformat the
> hd to fat16 just to get pts-dos to install, despite it saying it
> supports fat32. No real biggie there since fat32 and dos together is
> just begging for trouble anyway. I mainly started this project for two
> reasons. First, my monitor and vid card never had 32 bit drivers made
> for them (Win 3.11 & first ed 95 only) and secondly, because I really
> missed the old dos days. Seems like I traded in my arthritis for
> carpel tunnel by switching to windows (clickity click click). Heh, my
> monitor is anything but high tech. It's a big sumbitch, but so far
> just about useless unless I can get it to work with something. I've
> got a huge stack of old dos based cds (games, of course) that I'm
> dying to pull out and play, and Arachne IS a really cool browser
> (especially with all the damned plugins they make!) so I think the
> project is worth the effort if I can make it work. Hell, between
> Arachne and all the plugs, and dos thrown on to boot (no pun intended)
> theres not much a dos based system couldn't do, effectively. I was
> really shocked, pleasantly, to see that there are so many dos
> enthusiasts still out there and so many new programs for it. Theres
> even a cool gui setup called SEAL that uses themes! Hey Clint, if your
> reading this one, didn't you mention that one of your buds on the list
> writes his own drivers?

Nope  I don't remember saying that, I said I had a friend with a video
card that works under linux with fixed frequency monitors

you might want to check out

http://www.bigmonitors.com/support/download_central/index.htm

> Kurgan                         mailto:Kurgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---