Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2000:
[aclug-L] pppd demand dial woes

To: "'discussion@xxxxxxxxx'" <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] pppd demand dial woes
From: "House, Greg" <ghouse@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:43:42 -0500

Hi everyone,

I know some of you have done this before, so perhaps you can
help me.

I have a Linux system (RedHat 6.2, basic install with a kernel
update to 2.2.16-3). I set up the pppd demand dial option on it.
At first I thought it worked right, but later, I noticed that
it was dialing up at times I didn't expect.

My machine has a local network behind it. This net doesn't need
access to the internet, but the machine itself needs to be able
to send outgoing email. I'm not routing packets from my local
net or ipmasqing. I just want this thing to dial up when I send
mail or access an address that's not on the 192.168.0.0 network
(the local net). The problem is that it's dialing up on a lot of local
network activity.

Here's my pppd options file:

user ghouse

-detach
modem
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
demand
idle 30

I thought perhaps it was due to the defaultroute clause
so I commented that out. With it that way, it wouldn't EVER
dial.

I think it probably has to do with DNS lookups from things
like sendmail and some software my company makes, but I'm
not completely sure. I installed iptraf a little while ago
to see if it could help me, but I haven't tried it yet. Does
it have more readable output then tcpdump?

I think the solution must have something to do with using
the filtering that pppd provides, but I can't seem to find
any documentation on what the keywords are.

I could try to set up diald instead, but I've heard it's more
difficult to configure and I don't want to spend my whole life
configuring this thing.

One final question. All I _really_ want it to do when it dials
out is send email. Is there any hook in sendmail (or another
MTU?) that will let me run a script (like /etc/ppp/ppp-on)
when someone send's mail?

Thanks,
Greg