Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] master makefile

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] master makefile
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:03:00 -0500

I'm trying to set up a master makefile for a project I'm working on. I have
multiple projects in multiple directories, and each has its own makefile.
I'd like to set up another makefile in the parent directory which will make
whichever projects are specified at the command line.

A single rule in this makefile would essentially be the same as if I
changed into the corresponding directory, ran make on that makefile, and
changed back out of that directory. However, it needs to be able to handle
some or all of the makefiles at a time, depending on what is specified when
it is run.

Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be, but everything I've done
in the past was in the same directory, and used only one makefile.

Thanks,
John