Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Dual boot dual drive question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Dual boot dual drive question
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:15:45 -0500

YOu say your running Loadlin?
If so, you should be able to edit the batch file in windows, which runs the
loadlin program if it was originally it read something like:

loadlin c:\(whatever directory it is in)\vmlinuz(bla bla bla)
root=/dev/hd(a something) {here is where you would change it to b something}  ro

that simple.

I put my batch file in the linux directory.  I have another batch file in
autoexec.bat in the C:\ directory which ask if I want windoz or LINUX, it then
executes the linux.bat file, which is my loadlin script.

if you are running LILO, then someone else will have to help you, as I have not
had good luck with LILO.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just purchased a new 17 Gig hard drive for my system to replace my old 4
> Gig drive which was dual booting Win98 and Linux using LOADLIN. I have
> installed my new drive as the primary now which dual boots win98 and
> win2k. I also want to be able to boot into linux off my 4 gig drive with
> this setup. I know that the drive which has Linux on it will become
> /dev/hdb now. Can you please tell me what changes I neeed to make to be
> able to run Linux again on my PC.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Sanjay

Michael A. Holmes
Pol-i-tics (pol'i tiks): From the Greek, "Poly," meaning much or many &
"Ticks," meaning numerous blood sucking insects, some of which transmit
diseases.

                                               -Larry Shapiro

info on trouble free--free operating system
www.aclug.org