Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: kernel panic question

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: kernel panic question
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:31:32 -0500

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Kernel panics often (but not always) will lock the computer--it depends on
> the sevarity of the problem... or more accurately "where" the problem
> happened.

Can you explain to us how a kernel panic -- i.e., a call to panic() in
kernel/panic.c -- can allow the kernel to continue running? It looks to
me like either panic() forces a reboot after a timeout, or spins forever.
Am I missing something?

> If it happened in a non-critical process, it probably won't lock the system.

Kernel panics happen in the kernel.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/