Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Meetings

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Meetings
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:56:58 -0500

Oh, there was question and answer time, but the problem was that we didn't
announce it. The time prior to the actual presentation at ~7:30 is open
discussion time, as is the time after the presentation.  As for discussing
movies, I felt we wondered off topic way too soon -- without letting people ask
questions.  Perhaps when we are back in our normal room (hopefully next meeting)
things will be more business like. The relaxed setting tends to make for a
relaxed meeting -- too relaxed sometimes. :-)

> There were several new (or apparently new) people there - they put their
> names on the mailing list.  Did they have any questions about Linux or
> ACLUG?  We may never know.  Will any of them come back?  I'd be surprised.

The new people stuck around longer than some of the 'regulars', so that's
encouraging.

> Suggestions:
> Ask if there is anyone new to the meeting and find out from each one where
> they are with Linux; ...Have they tried it?...Why are they here?...Can we
> help?

We've asked how many people have attended a meeting for the first time at some
meetings, but we've seldom if ever asked where they are in using Linux.  That
sounds like a good idea to try.

> Print up a page of  ACLUG information and have copies available to hand out
> to new attendees.

That's fairly easy, as we have the handouts from the Saturday Sale.

> Have a real Q&A time with a real opportunity for questions. Try to eliminate
> chit-chat during this time.
> Have some of the Linux "gurus" there during the Q&A.
> End the presentation when it is over and restart the Q&A if needed.

We've had those before, and the 'gurus' are usually available.  But people won't
always speak up and ask the questions in front of the group, they often tend to
corner us after the meeting and ask their questions.

> The intent of the above is to improve the meetings.  If anyone is offended,
> sorry about that.
>
> Bruce Bales

No offence.  From time to time these questions need to be addressed.

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary & Website Maintainer - info@xxxxxxxxx
Air Capital Linux User's Group  (ACLUG)