Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: New Linux User

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: New Linux User
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:24:14 -0500

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 06:40:51PM -0500, Zeke A Lightwave wrote:
> As the subject says, I want to become a new linux user, and I am trying
> to figure out which one is right for me.  It doesn't have to do that
> much, I'll probably just use it to surf the web.  Maybe even hook it up
> to a network.
>       What is best for me?

Well, Zake.

That's a difficult question for anyone else but yourself to answer.
However, there are plenty of distributions out there to try.  Perhaps
among those I see mentioned for beginners are Mandrake, Caldera, and
Corel.  Redhat is popular, but seems to suffer from quite a few
problems with each release.  I'm using Debian and have used Slackware.
Debian has a very good packaging system that works well for future
upgrades, but can be a bit tough for the beginner to install quickly.
Slackware is very much a Do-it-Yourself distribution.  By that I mean
it lacks fancy installers and much hand-holding.  However, you will
understand your system after getting it working to your satisfaction.

The first three distributions above make many assumptions for you
and are said to do a resonable job of installing themselves and
getting you a running system in a hurry.  Since they tend to use
graphics, you probably need a machine that is reasonably fast (386SX-16
probably need not apply:) and has a fairly common graphics card.

When it's all said and done, me trying to tell you what Linux distribution
is best for you is like me trying to pick out a mate for you!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good