Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: KDE 2.0 beta problems

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: KDE 2.0 beta problems
From: J Lancaste <pantherace13@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:50:12 -0700 (PDT)

Found some alpha binarys, installed 6.2 (which overwrote
the osf-static netscape with an alpha-linux one, without
composer! alas my poor messages) One problem Mark arrasmith
had to do was to force it, because after qt was installed,
it would not install kde rpms (kept saying 1.1.2 was newer
than 1.90). So --force worked and /etc/profile had to have
/opt/kde2/bin added to the front of the path. After all
that it works, wonderfully (aside from a few beta
problems-still it is better than many of the windows
machines I have to work with at school).

Problems so far (for anyone who wants to put it on):
1. the install force, backup any files it wants to
overwrite, to be safe.
2. the toolbar sometimes will not let you use the mouse to
bring a minimized or program in the background to the
front. (use alt-tab to switch between windows).
3. /opt/kde2/bin must be before PATH in profiles, because
otherwise it will use the old kde apps.
4. konquerer is not fully stable, that has crashed two
times, it appear to be using back foreward several times
that does it.

overall, it seems very good, so if you like trying betas,
you might get it.

James l