Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] call for comments

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] call for comments
From: bert <bert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:06:50 -0500 (CDT)

i've written a couple of notes here regarding a
problem with writing to a floppy, the last dtd 4-22,
i'd like to thank jeff schaller and jon hall for their help.
jon and jeff are great assets to this list.

i was experiencing the inability to write to a floppy --
i installed mandrake, suse, debian --
every install ( booting from rawrite diskette images ) had me
experiencing the same problem. block device is write protected
mounting read-only, it turned into somewhat of a mantra . . . .
i reviewed fstab, mtab, permissions, block devices, file systems,
modules, etc, etc, etc.
a few days ago a friend used a rawrite disk to do an install
and the install failed on his first attempt. he remade the rawrite
floppy image and the install was successful.  the same scenario had
happened to me on a suse install and on a debian install. he got to
thinking about why the first floppy rawrite image failed, but
doing a second rawrite didn't fail. our discussion set me
to thinking . . . . something i'm unaccustomed with, so
has anyone ever experienced this phenom?

here's how i solved my floppy mounting read-only problem.

tonite, i decided to go back to win95 on the dell with the
problematic floppy. but then i found i couldn't install win95,
cause i couldn't write to the diskette to make a startup
disk. i was right back where i started. but at least i wasn't
able to install windows.

so i removed the floppy from the dell, and put it on another pc.
i formatted a diskette on this dell floppy in the other pc, checked
to see if i could do a write to it, i could, so then i
put the floppy back in the dell. the floppy in the dell,
the floppy in the dell, another song that's been nightmarish
in my head.

i booted the dell from the storm rawrite diskette and installed.

i can now read and WRITE to the floppy.

this experience seems a bit weird to me.

comments would be appreciated.