Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Perl Random number!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Perl Random number!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 17:19:08 -0500

Jeff wrote:

> Remember which random number it gave you and loop until it gives
> you a different one.
>
> my $lastone=undef;
> while ($you want more) {
>         my $randnum = int(rand @tokens);
>         while ($randnum == $lastone) {
>                 $randnum = int(rand @tokens);
>         }
>         $lastone = $randnum;
>         # use $randnum
> }

Thanks..i will try it. One small question.. if this is a cgi script and
i want my script to remember or somehow know what the previous random
number was when it ran last time, do i need to write it to a file or is
there some magic in perl that can help me achieve this?

> By the way, you realize that $myrandom is really an index into the
> @tokens array instead of the value itself -- $myrandom =
> $tokens[int(rand @tokens)]; -- would give you the value from the
> array.

yea.. i am using $tokens[$myrandom] to get the value out.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Mohammed.