Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Perl Random number!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Perl Random number!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:05:30 -0500

Hi,

I have a question about generating random number in perl.

What do i need to do to generate a different random number each time?

Lets say I have an array called @tokens. It has five elements. I want to
generate a random number and pick one of those elements randomly. Each
time it has to be different than the previous one.

Say, i have the following code;

srand();

$myrandom = int(rand(@tokens));

with this code, i am getting some of the elements(say... the first or
the third element in the array) more times than the others (Which is
fine). To elaborate, if @token = (1,2,3,4,5) and i ran the above code 5
times, i get 1 one time, 4 one time, 0 two times and 3 twice(fourth and
fifth time i ran the program). Now what can i do here to generate a
different random number each time i run the program? (I want it to
generate a random number that is different from the previous random
number it generated)

Any pointers, insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mohammed.