Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: LInux sucks

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: LInux sucks
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Apr 2000 08:40:17 -0500

"Michael A. Holmes" <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> After restoring track 0 of the hard drive, with the western digital ez
> drive, I now have linux up and sorta running. My home directory is trashed,

Don't use ezdrive :-(

> there but in the scan disk, it said 30% was non contiguous, / directory was
> 15% non contiguous.  Several programs crash, kmail in the /home/mike
> directory locks up the computer and a control alt backspace is the only way
> to get any control  of the computer back.
>
> LINUX IS ABLE TO BE CRASHED BY EMAIL!!!!!!!!!

> All I did was try out a cad program, and when the time expired the email
> crashed my computer.  The email opened from /mike accessed my root
> authority and crashed the linux operating system.

So you were reading mail as root?  What mail reader were you using?
If you were running as root, *ALL* bets are off.  You should not be
running as root :-)  This is why.

Can you send me a copy of the e-mail?  I think it is a bit
presumptious of you to state that "Linux sucks" without providing us
more details.  The behavior you describe does not seem possible given
the security model or mail readers that exist under Linux.

-- John