Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: XFree86-4.0 problems

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: XFree86-4.0 problems
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:50:59 -0600 (CST)

Debian 2.1...

KDE and XFree86 are two different things...  XFree86 is the X Windows
Server.  KDE is a Desktop Environment, which runs on top of the X
server...  personally, i run WindowMaker, but w/o X there is no GUI,
regardless of what you use...  personally, i really despise KDE, since
it's too Windows-like for my taste...  i like the NeXT-ish look to my
desktop...

has anyone else gotten XFree86-4.0 to work?

again, my card is a S3 ViRGE/GX (STB Nitro 3D), which has always worked
fine...  in 3.3.x, i used the SVGA server, but in the new 4.0 series, it
says to use the S3 ViRGE server...  however, X loads fine, it's just the X
Font Server (xfs) that hangs on bootup...  is there some config i'm
missing?  anyone else had this problem?

jesse

          <<< Jesse Kaufman (kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) >>>