Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Non-Linux Question: RF Interference?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Non-Linux Question: RF Interference?
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:31:19 -0600

The following advice is based on A) you are competant around high voltage, or
B) you can get someone who is.

1st and cheapest check the ground rod at you electrical service.  make sure it
is properly routed and connected to your service.  In a lot of cases, the phone
and electrical tie back to the same ground rod (not proper, but common
practice.  Each should have its own ground)

2nd check for loose connections inside your electrical service.  With you
mentioning about it being worse at night, you might first check the circuit
which most the lights are on, especially a flaky circuit breaker (which would
hum if at the limit of tripping )

3rd you did not mention what was close to your geographic area.  If you are up
high on the terrain, look for towers close which might be bleeding

Again please be careful around the high voltage, anything over 24 volts has the
potential of serious bodly harm and or death.

Michael

Michael A. Holmes

You have not failed until you give up!