Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Starting an E-Business...Just need a couple of things.

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>, <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Starting an E-Business...Just need a couple of things.
From: "Jeremy King" <jmking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:41:32 -0600

How does XML figure into your business plan?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but
isn't the primary improvement from HTML to XML the ability to define your
own tags, and isn't this feature primarily used in setting up
business-to-business data exchange systems?  If all you are wanting is a
storefront on the web, you may be better off focusing on HTML & CGI
scripting.  Of course, if you do plan on manufacturing laptops, you are
talking about a scale of production that might make XML a useful tool in
managing your supply chain.

As far as advertising goes, who is your target market?  Do you plan on
selling direct to consumers?  Through retail outlets like CompUSA?  Direct
to corporate customers?  Who you want to sell to will determine how you
market the product.
Also, the amount of funding you have available is a major consideration.  If
you're starting off with very little, you'll probably have to pour most of
your cash into product development, set up shop at computer shows, and trust
word of mouth to get most of your early sales.  On the other hand, if you've
got the financial backing, you should consider hiring a marketing consultant
with the kind of experience that you won't find in too many linux user
groups.