Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: IP Masq and games

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: IP Masq and games
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 01:39:52 -0600

It probably won't work.  I have that game too... many games have proprietary
stuff that won't work behind a firewall (which IP masq effectively is).  You
might check the game settings or their web site for info on that... although
I don't recall seeing anything like that in the game's network options.

He'll probably need to connect directly to the Internet (with a 'real' IP
address), or play another game that works over IP masq (like Quake), or play
single-player for a while. :-)

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 12:01:22AM -0600, John Reinke wrote:
> I have a relative staying with me for a few days that wants to play a game
> called Delta Force, which is a Quake-like game. My setup is a linux box
> running IP Masq over cable modem, and a Windows box on the network, but it
> won't allow him to play the game over the internet, most likely due to the
> IP Masq. I've not had trouble with any other TCP/IP applications on that
> Windows box not working before, and we tried all the network options I
> could find in the game settings. Does anyone have any suggestions for how
> to get it running?
>
> Thanks,
> John

A man in Johannesburg, South Africa, shot his 49-year-old friend in the
face, seriously wounding him, while the two practiced shooting beer cans off
each other's head.