Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Upcoming Networkshop II?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Upcoming Networkshop II?
From: "Jeremy King" <jmking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:00:15 -0600

Hopefully I'll have figured out everything I need to know about networking
Linux before April rolls around, but here's what I'm in the middle of
setting up:

I have two dual boot Win98/Linux machines connected to a 10Mb hub.  I want
both to be able to access the internet through a single PPP connection.  So,
to get multiple computers on line (and with dial-on-demand), I am tinkering
around with the following services--diald, ipmasq, ipchains, caching-only
DNS, and possibly squid.  Although I don't have a 24/7 connection, I could
see the need for a similar setup (minus diald) among all the people who
signing up for cable or DSL service.  So, all of those topics would be
useful to someone with more computers than phone lines.

To slightly digress..., I've been thinking that someone with a bunch of
486's and a good custom configuration of Debian could probably make some
money selling similar setups to people who are smart enough to realize that
their 24/7 connection is poorly secured, but not patient enough to learn how
to setup a linux firewall for themselves.  Too bad I have neither the
knowledge nor the hardware...

Anyway, there's my $.02.
Jeremy