Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Maybe there is hope for the masses.

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Maybe there is hope for the masses.
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 12:43:45 -0600

FYI, David Korn is uniquely qualified to be authoritative on this,
not just because he wrote ksh, but he also developed an entire Unix
shell/command environment for Windows, called UWIN:

  http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

Official ksh93 runs in this environment. I looked at these things
1-2 years ago, and thought UWIN was technically superor to Cygwin
and MKS. (But then I'm a long-time ksh user; bash users may differ.
Cygwin, of course, has the inestimable advantage of coming with
source code; painful as it is to bootstrap, but a better deal long
term.) More links from:

  http://www.kornshell.com/

AT&T has an OSD-compliant source code license for some research
projects. I've heard rumors that ksh may be released under this,
but haven't seen it.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.ocston.org/~thull/