Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Project suggestion

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Project suggestion
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Jan 2000 10:33:43 -0600

OK, the trick to Debian is knowing what you need and what is fluff.
None of the pre-defined "tasks" will work nicely for an extremely
small situation.  You have to select a good set of packages manually.
You can do this by carefully reviewing the descriptions of each
package.

Obvious candidates that you can deselect are:

 * The development system (gcc, binutils, as86, kernel-source, etc)
 * TeX
 * Emacs
 * tk
 * anything X-related, unless you really want X on it.  In that case,
   use fvwm2 for your wm and avoid anything gnome-related
 * manpages
 * documentation

In general, the stuff in "base" in dselect has to be there.  Some
stuff in standard you can remove.  Some you can't.  If you try to
remove it with the underscore, it will complain if other things depend
on it.  Just cancel the removal by hitting a cap X at the dependency
resolution screen.  look for anything that looks like it's not going
to be needed on your system.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 98,761,526th prime number is 2,011,538,729.