Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: telnet to mailserver.com.au 110, I get a message: Connecti

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: telnet to mailserver.com.au 110, I get a message: Connection closed by foreign host
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:02:57 -0600

My guess is that "TCP Wrappers" are killing the connection on the mail
server machine. First look in /etc/inetd.conf to see if tcpd is being
used for the POP service. Does it look like:

pop     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd   <something>

The key is the tcpd (it might have a different path).

If the above is true then you need to look in /etc/hosts.allow to make
sure that pop access is being allowed from the hostname/ip address of
the client PC. You can also look in the logs for messages that
indicate why the connection is being terminated.

Good luck.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 04:41:13PM +1100, Andy Wong wrote:

> HI there,
>
> I not sure you can help me...
>
> I having problem trying to solve a problem I have.
> My Client PC can't connect to the Mail server.
> So I try the following
>
> telnet to mailserver.com.au 110, I get a message: Connection closed by
> foreign host
>
> I already check the following setting in services, Inetd.conf, hosts.deny and
> hosts.allow.
> All seem to be ok...
>
> Also try netstat to see what services is running, POP-3 is running..
> & running pine on the mail machine can receive mail.
>
> I am running out of things to try... It appear that another machine can't
> access the mail server.
> Is there another file that controls the security of mail access?
>
> Thank you in Advance.
>
> Regards,
> Andy Wong
> Australia
> andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963