Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Aclug COOP Cluster?

To: aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Aclug COOP Cluster?
From: tom@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:28:07 -0600 (CST)

With all of the talk about clusters I have decided to move all of my junk
386/486/pent machines out of my room at home into a room at work and make
a cluster.

I was also thinking of making it a coop cluster.  I had planed on
letting people add to this cluster.  I am not sure about the network that
I am going to use.  I don't have any extra hubs laying around, but I do
have lots of cheap coax cable, and t's.  I have been looking around, and
I am going to run two coax networks, and bond them together to give it
20mb/s.  I also have a bw quickcam that I am going to set up so people can
watch the machines on the net.  At this moment there is 128k isdn line at
the office.  This will be upgraded to adsl soon.

As it sits now the cluster will be comprised of 2-386 3-486 1-pent.   I
have a 486dx4120 that will be the gateway machine.  Most of these machines
are in pieces in my room at home, but I feel confident that I can put make
whole machines.

 Let me know what you think? Do you have any old computer laying around
that you would like to put to good use?  would like to add a computer the
cluster?  I was going to give anyone who contributes to the cluster sudo
access on the machines.

                                        Thomas Bloom